65 Rimless Reef

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Rimless Reef

Hello, I figured I would post up my work in progress. I've been extremely slow to get this project under way but hopefully I will start to pick up the pace a bit. Lately I have been drooling over Florida Ricordea and some of the old school ORA Acropora so I'm not sure which way this setup will go. What ever I decide to do I want to keep it simple meaning routine water changes, 2-part, a big skimmer, and some Siporax. I'm going to try to only add bacteria in the beginning, then follow that by only adding the 3 major elements, and food. A good amount of the inspiration for this build comes from a couple reefers in Brazil that have had some amazing success with very similar systems. I figure I will also mention that this is a stepping stone to a larger system in the works, but I must finish the basement before I can even really consider starting a larger project.

Components:
    -65 gallon display 48x18x18 Rimless
    -22 gallon sump 36x12x12
    -7.5 gallon top off 12x12x12
    -Stainless steel stand
    -Siporax
    -Reefkeeper lite
    -dosing pumps
    -INOUT overflow system
    -Quietone return pump
    -Maybe a DIY Kalk reactor
    -undecided on lighting. I'm leaning towards T5 or T5 LED combo
    -undecided on flow. considering closed loop or possibly using some older Sicce Voyager pumps I have laying around that need new props
    -Barebottom with acrylic sheet bottom

can not wait to see water in it!

Comment

That's glass right? How does the rim less design hold up from separation. It's just silicon holding it right? I know with acrylic tanks it's glued but glass? I know I can look it up but like you said posting is a bit quite ?

Comment

Originally posted by Reefmonger View Post
        That's glass right? How does the rim less design hold up from separation. It's just silicon holding it right? I know with acrylic tanks it's glued but glass? I know I can look it up but like you said posting is a bit quite ?
        Correct that is glass. Typically rimless tanks are shorter in height or less lengthy which lowers the overall pressure. They also tend to be assembled using thicker glass so the silicone has more surface area to adhere to and so there is less flex in the glass. They have held up good for me in the past and I like the look.

Comment

Originally posted by marinelife View Post
          can not wait to see water in it!
          I want to be running as soon as possible, but I have done everything at a snails pace so far so no eta yet. Figured I would also mention the stand is a bit different than my sketch up.

Comment

Yes rim less tanks are beautiful. I've always went with regular tanks and went with nice cabinet and canopy. Then did corner mold myself to cover corners. The rimless is like an infinity pool which is awesome. Looking forward to see final pics.

Comment

Decided I'm going to try ESV two part this go around compared to my usual BRS. Interested to see if there is any difference with the trace elements in the ESV.

I think I'm going to setup a small tank this weekend so I can hopefully pick up some corals at the upcoming CORA swap since the 65 won't be ready in time.

Comment

ESV is awesome !

Comment

Working...
                X