What size pump??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size pump??

Not sure what I have now but looking for a new pump for my 125 gallon. How big should it be? GPH?

I try to go as small as possible. This allows more contact for you sumps water with skimmer/refugium etc.
    This has always worked for me. Maybe around 2-3x turn over rate of the display.

Comment

So just 375 gph pump?

Comment

How many gph does your skimmer process? You want right around that much, but We generally recommend 3-5 x display size after vertical head loss as a good start point if your not sure on the skimmer.

As an example a quietone 4000 is rated at 1017gph with no head pressure, but after 6ft of vertical head you are only pumping around 550gph. Hope this helps. The gph a pump is rated to at 0ft of head is usually worthless unless using for a closed loop. Refer to manufacture flow charts.

Comment

My2pennies: Consider the size of your sump also, I can not remember your sump size, but I would never turn over more than 10 times my sump. That being said, I use a bigger return pump and T some of the flow to my fuge.

Comment

Working...
          X